?

Log in

No account? Create an account
February 2006 Newsmaker Chapter 1 - 奈落の底へようこそ

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

February 11th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
09:37 pm - February 2006 Newsmaker Chapter 1
^^; It suddenly feels weird, awkward even, to post a translation after such a long absence. After much poking (and stabbing and jabbing and whacking and mushing XD), here is the translation for Newsmaker Feb issue.

It's divided into three chapters, and I'll post chapter one first whie I wait for help for the other two. It isn't a long article, they talk about three things: GIFT, ASIA and the TOUR. I thought the most interesting one is the one on Asia. After hearing so much about it and knowing how much he has planned for it, I'm really excited that it's happening. ^^~

I'll let you read it yourself, and I hope you'll enjoy it. :D


1. Please DO NOT take my translations and use them for whatever reason, without my permission.
2. Please DO NOT publish my translations elsewhere without my permission. Please kindly link back if you want, but DO NOT copy and paste them.
3. Please kindly spare a few minutes and COMMENT if you read it. What are your thoughts of it?


[number] = more explanation of the sentence below
xxx = more detailed explanations
[xxx] = what I felt a certain part of the sentence meant
(xxx) = other meanings of the word or literal translations or missing word/words not specifically mentioned. For e.g. The fans screamed when (Gackt and his band members) entered the stadium! Read it like you will a normal sentence.
=xxx= = real brackets used in the interview


Gackt - A man who puts his life on the line to continue the fight, even to the extent of declaring, “I’ll retire if I can’t accomplish this.” And thus a raging 2005 passes. Now he already has his eyes fixed on year 2006, no, even much further than that. What’s truly spurring him on? It’s the mission he has placed on himself; as well as the dream that must be accomplished. What is in his mind and what is he aiming for now? This cover article will discuss (lit.draw near, press) Gackt’s real intention.


Gackt CHAPTER.1
Look back on 2005
Long interview



In 2005, Gackt challenged himself more than he usually does, and also took on new challenges outside. [1] In this article I would like to focus on the keywords “GIFT”, ASIA”, and “Fighting”.
[1] I believe he means moving outside, out of Japan.


GIFT


2005 began with the release of “ありったけの愛で” (arittake no ai de) single. This opening was a continuation of the “GIFT” theme from the previous year; and under the same theme, the “Love Letter” album, which you could consider the compilation of the theme, was released. And with that ends the "GIFT" theme, but……



"This one single word, “省く”, can sum up all of one’s life"



I: Along with the release of “Love Letter” album, a special event limited to couples was held, and a ski resort was reserved for the fan club trip and a Winter Sports Meet held. As for the annual overseas fan club trip, you went to Sydney for the first time, didn’t you? The opening of the year 2005 sees a continuation of GIFTs for fans from Gackt-san.
G: It started from me saying, “I’ve started snowboarding,” while I was doing a tour two years ago. I said during one of the live MC, “Let’s go play snowboarding together in a fan club event.” Since I said it during the MC, I would be deemed a liar if I don’t follow through. I searched (for a place) immediately after that, but there is no way we can book the whole slope for weekends, right? Because it takes a lot of money to even book half a day.


I: Ooh
G: I thought, “It’s impossible!” But there was someone I became friends with by chance, and he is the owner of a ski resort. I told him, “Actually, I would like to do something like this…” and I persuaded him to help me make it happen somehow. Well, it was a relief. First and foremost, I was glad I could keep my promise.


I: And what about going to Sydney?
G: That’s our annual overseas fan club trip. The first and second year was in Hawaii; third year was Vegas; and the fourth year this time was Sydney.


I: Have you been to Sydney before?
G: No, it was my first time. It is a great place. So basically, (the annual fancub trips) will be places I’ve never been to. Halfway through I started thinking of going to places which everyone won’t go to normally. It was Hawaii at first, but I think everybody can go there themselves. From now on, I think I would like to visit less popular places one by one.


I: Like the North Pole or South Pole?
G: Or the Amazon. (laughs) Hawaii is better in that case. They know Japanese language and the security is good. But that depends on the organizers; it’s not up to me. Everybody tends to do things the easy way. [1] I think I found a good word recently. This one single word can sum up all of one’s life. It is the word “省く”. This word “省” can sum up one’s entire life.
[1] I believe what he meant was that the organizers/sponsors just want to find easy and convenient places, maybe because it’s easier to handle procedures and things like that. And also for security reasons of course. So the problem doesn’t lie with him.


I: How so?
G: The first (meaning) is to reflect (省みる kaerimiru). But reflecting on (your past actions) is only fifty percent of it. It becomes one hundred percent if you are capable of the act of discarding (省く habuku)[1] in your life. In short, it is the way we look back, reflect and introspect. Then we will feel various emotions within ourselves. And sometimes we need to cast those aside, and courage is needed to do that. [2] If we do not have the courage, we will not be able to cast it away. Because we fear it; because there is the fear of losing. Being able to do that –to discard– is the first step to living. [3] That's what this word means. It’s a great word. I think that is really how I managed to reach this point now.
[1] 省く habuku: to omit; to eliminate; to curtail; to economize; to economize
[2] When we reflect on our actions, or even our life in general, we’ll discover and feel something. Negative emotions, perhaps. We know it isn’t right, and even so, we can’t bear to put it aside. We cling on to it. So we need great courage to let it go and release ourselves from the restrain we have placed on ourselves. Edit: kuro_no_diablo gave a good explanation of this part on the comments below, if you are interested. :D Thanks!
[3] The original sentence goes "That's the first time (this) becomes life"



I: Indeed, the act of casting something away takes a lot of courage.
G: It’s not because it is painful that we cast it aside. I think that’ll be more like running away. Throw it away not because it’s troublesome or anything like that, but under our own determination (to better ourselves). The act of casting something away is indeed dreaded (lit. hated), isn’t it? There is also a fear of hurting someone through it. Courage is needed. One needs to be decisive. Well, I don’t think there are many who can understand this meaning. When I saw that word, I thought it had a deep (meaning). I was a little touched.


I: Where did you read it from?
G: Something like “Wise Sayings of the day”.


I: Could it be something like different aphorisms you read every day?
G: Yes, yes, something like that.


I: And finally, this theme known as the GIFT. How did you feel about ending this theme?
G: With a feeling of gratitude, I will be moving even faster from this point, so “follow me closely now”.

ASIA


It can be said that the year 2005 for Gackt is a year which focuses on Asia, Korea in particular. Along with the release of “Love Letter” album, he also went to Korea to do promotions. He was invited to the biggest music event held in the country, “m,net/Km MUSIC VIDEO FESTIVAL”, at the end of the year 2004, and was awarded the Best Asia Rock Artist. The Korean version of “12月のLove song” [12 gatsu no Love song] was recorded that year as a coupling of the single which was released annually. [1] And for year 2005, he re-recorded the collaboration version in Korean language with popular Korean artist, Isoo, vocalist of MC the MAX. This song is currently released through Gackt’s first – and only – net distribution.
[1] He released the original Japanese version in December 2001, and since then he has released the English, Chinese and Korean version at the end of each year. Normally the singles comes with a revised Japanese version, the version in other language, and the instrumental version.


"What I can do is to further strengthen the relationship between Asia through the influence of music culture"



I: Year 2005 was a year which focuses on Asia, in particular Korea.
G: That’s right. But well, it’s not that I’m only looking at Korea alone, because I plan to move around the whole of Asia: Taiwan, China, Singapore, as well as Malaysia, Indonesia, etc. I am currently planning my activities as a vocalist in Asia.


I: When you said “vocalist in Asia”, was it something you realized when you are making music?
G: It was when I was 20 years old, that was when I came to the realization that I’m Asian.


I: And what brought that about?
G: I don’t know what exactly it was. I am Okinawan and am extremely proud of that. When someone asks, “Are you Japanese,” I would reply that I’m Okinawan. But when I came out to Asia, I realized that this is not right. Based on Japan’s position in Asia, Japanese very much think that other Asian countries are beneath them, right? Yet here we are, so near to each other. Perhaps, if we ask any Japanese about say, (which countries they view as) “overseas”, most would definitely think of America first rather than China, Vietnam or Malaysia, etc. We are mentally close to each other. We are all Asians. I believe the economy centers around Asia as well. And Japan’s economy is already declining in Asia. Though Japan has been standing on the top of Asia till now, Asian countries are now starting to bypass Japan, and that is one of the reasons for this decline. Even so, there are still a lot of people in Japan who live in the old “syndrome”, as if the economy of Asia still depend on them to survive.


I: We think too highly of ourselves.
G: But it doesn’t work that way anymore. If we don’t pace ourselves with the Asian countries, Japan itself won’t last. We look at Asia as one whole entity and we come into contact with (each other) in this huge framework called Asia economy. In short, we have to come to terms with the current situation. It is a fact that the power of America is growing too large currently. The strength to fight that more as best as we can, as well as an influential voice is necessary for Asia. But not through force, mind you. For that purpose, it is important that Japan, China and Korea step up side by side as one economy. But Japan still thinks too highly of herself and fails to understand that. I think it is pertinent that we understand our current state. While Japanese are thinking over it, other Asian countries are already moving ahead first.


I: Korea, for one, is growing fast.
G: They are growing rapidly. And we are the only ones who aren’t aware of that. Other countries have felt the danger and started to act on it.


I: As for that, I think Gackt-san senses that danger precisely because you really felt the atmosphere in other Asian countries. For example, you went to Korea quite a few times already, right?
G: I did. Recently I’ve been meeting politicians from China, Korea and Taiwan often.


I: What kind of conversation did you have?
G: The reason I’m making music, the reason I’m doing them overseas, etc., and in between there are talks about sponsors and things like that. Mostly those kinds of conversations. First I tell them, “I’m not coming to do promotions.” I said that the influence of culture is necessary right now to unite Asia and so I would like them to lend me their strength.


I: Well then, it’s not simply because you want to do a live, but in a deeper sense, you are advancing towards Asia with a mission in mind.
G: I do think about that. A lot. I do it with that in mind because I won’t be able to move on if I don’t. If I go there simply to do a live, it will only be a matter of bringing our music instruments and the band members over, and asking (the staff in Korea) to put the stage together. [1] What I plan to do is completely different from that. I’m going there to show them the world view that we are looking at. Our world view is the message. I have no interest in promotions; I’m doing this only because I feel it as a mission of sorts, that I’m meant to do something to bridge Asia.
[1] When Gackt holds his concerts overseas, he insists on recreating the exact same stage as the one he made in Japan. So he ships all the stage props, items and everything else there, and takes practically all the staff over with him.


I: Do you also start becoming aware of this mission when you were 20 years old?
G: No, it’s in the recent five years that I started thinking this way. Ten years ago, those were still the times when I was concerned about whether my CD will sell or not.


I: Eh! Even Gackt-san?
G: There were such times. That’s because I won’t be able to continue if my CDs don’t sell; because we can’t make a living (otherwise). But I realized in these seven, eight years that we can still earn our income through something besides music. It’s really quite a simple logic.


I: Bwahahaha! So frank (laughs)
G: In this past seven, eight years, I began to understand that we can still earn money even if we don’t play our music to make a living. I saw that we can, surprisingly, earn an income (easily) in this world. And so, I began to realize that it is not necessary at all to play music just to make a living. If I do, I would have to write songs that will become a hit, and I’m not interested in doing that. Doing that would only bring conflicts within myself eventually. (lit. conflicts, complications, trouble, discord)


I: Were there times when Gackt-san yourself experienced such conflicts?
G: There were. Around seven to eight years ago.


I: Hooo, I’m a little surprised.
G: I thought to myself that living through nothing but music makes you dependent on it. I think it was seven to eight years ago, close to nine years ago. A group of my close friends, who were in bands, were rapidly falling out of the music scene and quitting music, and and having financial troubles (lit. life became hard for them financially). All these happened before my eyes. There was such a time.


I: I see, I see
G: At that time I thought, “I see, everybody is frightened.” About not being able to make a living. We musicians give a strong impression of making lots of money, right? But in one lifetime, the period of time when we are popular (lit. respected) is amazingly short. The amount of money isn’t really that great in proportion to our lifespan. But musicians are, generally, really foolish. That is why when we receive large amounts of money, we think that this will last forever and spend it frivolously. And the interesting thing about humans is that it is easy for us to raise our standard of living but we can't lower it back down (once it has been raised). Even if we can’t sell (our music) anymore, we will not lower our standards. We suffer, are terrified of discords and worry about it dropping. That is what I saw happening with my own eyes and the first time I realized that this is what it meant by depending on music to make a living. But that is… a real shame to see [1]. I decided that I mustn’t be that way. And I look again at what “music means to me”. To me, music is (a way) to convey our message, philosophy, will; and to fulfill what I mentioned earlier on, missions and duties. I concluded then that music shouldn’t be all about earning a living or (feeding) our families.
[1] Kakkowarui - uncool, unattractive, unappealing, etc.


I: Music is separate from a way to make a living.
G: Yes. And then when I was thinking of how to make a living, it came to me. “That's right, I can earn my income by doing other jobs.” And I thought that if I set up a few different companies and make profits from there, I will not have to play music to make a living. In that case, I can use music to realize my dreams and use it as a tool to unite Asia; I can devote myself to (creating) a home to help everyone move forward (lit. push people’s back). I am a complete brand.


I: Brand?
G: Yes. (However,) if you think of the brand as something to make a profit from, it will become worthless at once. What the power of brand refers to is really the power of image. That is completely different from profits. I will do something else unrelated to me (lit. other than “me”) if I want to earn profits. “I” am a complete brand. That is why it is okay even if we get red numbers. The people who take part in this feel that it doesn’t matter as long as the brand lives on. So the tour this time will not be the scale of that of a “hall tour”, let me say that clearly.


I: Not just this time, it’s the same way for each of your concerts.
G: How (scary) the red numbers are. When artists who are planning concerts come to watch mine, they will ask, “How much did you spend?” I wonder if they aren’t trying to create such a stage as well. But they won’t be able to, because they are planning to make profits out of it. So we can invest in (such concerts) because we look at making profits separately. You won’t be able to do it if you keep thinking of makings tons of profits. That is why we can come up with such crazy things. I tell them to not get that wrong. Same goes for going to Asia which I mentioned earlier on, I’m not going there because I want to sell my CDs, but because I can do something by using this brand called “Gackt”.


I: How can you use this brand called Gackt in Asia?
G: What I can do is to further strengthen the relationship between Asia through the influence of music culture. To make it strong like it has never been before. My dream is to unite Asian citizens. I think that is what I’m meant to do.

FIGHT


After (the release of) “Love letter” which signals the end of the GIFT theme, the story revolving around “MOON” was restarted. Three singles were released followed by the album, “DIABOLOS”, making this the second album for the year 2005. The concert that was started along with the release of the album was the biggest national tour (that Gackt has) ever held and his first Tokyo Dome live will be held as the concert final. Year 2005 for Gackt can be said as (a year of) fighting grand battles.


"Only the ones who think of moving up along with me should follow"



I: You released two albums; held the largest national tour to date; and had your first Dome performance. When we were doing the keyword interview earlier on, (page.29), you said, “I’ll retire if I cannot accomplish this.” I think the year 2005 was truly a year of fighting.
G: I see myself as having missions and duties that I have to accomplish in Asia, so if I can’t do even this, I won’t be able to accomplish those missions, right? That is what I meant. I don’t use the word “retire” lightly; I do it knowing in my mind that I can clear it. And I would like my staff to think that way too. That is why I said that I would also like to determine the staff’s will/ability during the tour this time. In the end, it’s not like everybody moved along with me when I cleared something. [1] “Although I can do it by myself to this extent, I can’t go beyond that.” There are a lot of people like that, right? That isn’t something bad. For instance, being able to think that they don’t have the ability to carry on any longer also takes courage. In that way we’ve ascertained their will/ability. [2] If we don’t, it’ll be difficult for them because we’ll be pursuing more things from now. You can quit if it becomes too difficult and painful. I don’t want to work with someone (is only forcing him/herself to continue) either. Only the ones who think of moving up along with me should follow. Really, I just don’t want to think badly of my companions.
[1] It’s like when he did something successfully, not everyone made that progress along with him. As you move along to a higher level, some people get left behind or can’t catch up.
[2] He didn’t specify what it was he was testing the staff on… but I believe the reason why you can’t follow something/one is either because you don’t want to, or you just don’t have the ability to.



I: What you are saying is, you (and your staff) are aiming even higher and year 2005 was for determining how much of those (goals) you can achieve by yourselves. It was a year of fighting and determining your limit. (lit. maximum)
G: I believe they see it that way too.


Original text by: Sachie Tojo
Translated by: Sweiled




Own comments:
I think I stopped breathing for a few seconds when he mentioned Singapore and Indonesia in his plans. XD He has never been here to do promotions and the like before, so it really came as a surprise. I thought that he will tour China, Taiwan, Korea, Hong Kong maybe, or Thailand... but I didn't think of my own two coutries. And more than anything, I'm truly grateful that he includes Indonesia in his plans. It's not exactly the safest or cleanest or most advised place to hold a concert in. XD I do love my country, despite its many faults and to know that he thinks it worthy enough... it brought a bit of tears. Even if it somehow falls through due to security reasons, I'm still glad that he thought of Indonesia.

/patroitism XD

It's the first time he named countries as well! Before, it was just a vague "Asia", but now it's pretty definite. Though we don't exactly know when, he IS coming. Ah, it will be grand to see him in Singapore, and also to meet up with other fans! :D That will be the day~


It is interesting to see his view on Asia economy. I don't know many artists who do that. ._. But you can really tell his love for his country and his desire to make it better. He isn't afraid to point out the faults and to admit that they have weaknesses either. Though sometimes I wonder when he has the time to think about all these. XD You need a lot of information and news about politics, the world, current economy to be able to make a proper stand, and you need a lot of time to read about all that. He gives me the impression of a black hole. Keeping his eyes open and absorbing everything that is in his way. Hehe. ^^;


Ahaha, I thought it was rather amusing that the interviewer found it hard to believe that Gackt has had such times when he couldn't sell his CDs too. It tells us something too, doesn't it? ^^ But wow, this part definitely interested me most. Haha, he sure is someone who doens't compromise. XD I thought it was bloody brilliant what he chose to do eventually. Most people would either accept the way things are done and try their best to live with it, or they move away from it, refusing to compromise their way of living. But Gackt, he carved another way out for himself. :3 In the end he got all that he wanted. The music that he loves and use to spread his messages; as well as a way to make a living.

And my bad for bringing this up again, but the thought of people calling him a media-whore... It makes me want to do some real damage to someone. XD I do think that anybody has the right to criticize others, but DON'T do it if you don't know anything about the person. And especially NOT in public places. It just makes one seem ignorant, jaded, and thoughtless. If there is anything I learned from being here, it is to not judge the book by its covers. Not everything is as they seem... And I try to keep that in mind for other artists, or even people in general, as well. I may not know them well but if others like them, then they must have positive qualities to them too, just that we aren't aware of it. :D Don't be too hasty to judge others. I think being in a fandom makes me understand that.


I admire him muchly for saying, "I am a complete brand" and then to say in the next line, "If you think of the brand as something to make a profit from, it will become worthless at once." I think he has succeeded well in finding a good balance between the two. I especially like the line "What the power of brand refers to is really the power of image." It's true too, if you look at all the TV appearances and CMs he has appeared in. I don't know how exactly to put it in words... though he makes use of it to earn his income, he doesn't sell himself and go for everything that can give him money, you know? Despite it being his way of earning money, he still chooses carefully the projects he take and products he endorses. That's the impression I get.


My dream is to unite Asian citizens. I think that is what I’m meant to do.

A lot of people might laugh at him and say that he is silly for wanting to do this. "An artist trying to unite Asia? With what? His looks?" I think a lot of people will think that way, but I can see it happening. I've always believed in it. Even when I didn't understand him well, all I felt was admiration and respect when I first read about his goals. He isn't someone who talks about grand dreams without doing anything about it. He sees, he plans, and he executes. He has such great passion and strong faith in him and what he is trying to do that you can't help but be affected, I guess.

And as I read the last part, I realized that it is true that only the ones who can and wants to will follow him. ._. Though we don't contribute directly, but it's quite the same case here, don't you think? It takes a lot of determination and dedication (not to mention insanity XD) to stay in this fandom, and I've never once felt that it isn't worth it. And I do hope I can still say the same line in the years to come. ^^


Thank you for reading and do keep a lookout for the next two chapters. :D

(106 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


Page 1 of 3
<<[1] [2] [3] >>
[User Picture]
From:fujipuri
Date:February 11th, 2006 04:24 pm (UTC)
(Link)
O_o such a long interview.... I don't have the time to read all of it right now, but will do it whenever I have free time. Thanks for the translations, Imee.

Will wait patiently for the next 2 chapters ^^ Thanks so much! *glomps Imee*

Good luck to Gackt as well, for his believe on uniting Asia!
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 11th, 2006 05:26 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, is it? XD I thought it was rather short~ XD;; Maybe because it was chopped down to three chapters, so anything looks short. o.O You are welcome, and take your time~~ :3

:D
[User Picture]
From:vanilla_girl_09
Date:February 11th, 2006 04:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
*dances* thank you so much for translating this! its so huge too!! @_@

It is the word “省く”. This word “省” can sum up one’s entire life.
*burns word into memory* XD
Im not too sure I understand exactly the whole concept of what he was saying but it seems to make sense at the same time. ^_^;

We are currently planning my activities as a vocalist in Asia.
頑張って ね Gakuto-sama!!!

It is a fact that the power of America is growing too large currently. The strength to fight that more as best as we can, as well as an influential voice is necessary for Asia.
eh? *whimpers*
if he is gonna fight America, can it wait till I get to Japan first? lol...
Im not sure what all that was about... I hope Gackt doesnt dislike Americans (like the rest of the world -_-;) though I cant really blame him. ><

said that the influence of culture is necessary right now to unite Asia. So I would like them to lend me their strength.
awww~ *tear* the altruistic egoist... I so want to help him. I dont know how... it makes me sad. T_T

I have no interest in promotions; I’m doing this only because I feel it as a mission of sorts, that I’m meant to do something to bridge Asia.
I truly believe this, I cant say that I ever thought any famous ppl were very sincere but he really is, and its not just becuz he says so, he proves so!

Ten years ago, those were still the times when I was concerned about whether my CD will sell or not.
*dies* Its hard to believe, there was a time when he thought like that. Just like when he said he questioned his singing ability (in his autobiography)... it makes me a little less nervous about all my self doubt. XD

We suffer, are terrified of discords and worry about it dropping. That is what I saw happening with my own eyes and the first time I realized that this is what it meant by depending on music to make a living.
I absolutely LOVE what he says about music being a philosophy. And how he didnt want to think of it as a way to make a living or make music to sell out. I wish I could be like that about making films. I wish I had that kind of courage. I feel bad that I try so hard to learn from him but yet I still live in fear. Even though I love it, I hate it too... cuz it makes me ashamed that I cant go beyond the fear like he has.

So we can invest on (such concerts) because we look at making profits separately.
It makes me want to cry how noble this statement is... specially after seeing Xmas Live, cuz I know he went so far into the red for that. I used to joke about him being an attention whore, not even meaning it seriously or hatefully. I think even that is wrong. I dont know any musician person like that. Now when ppl say those things about Gackt it really hurts me. Here he is working himself out to the point of illness, fainting after (even during) shows and gets labeled a sell out, when all he is doing is making money to give back to the fans, so that they have a wonderful time. I cant even begin to imagine how hard that must be.

Only the ones who think of moving up along with me need follow.
@_@ he says it so simply but its difficult to be overshadowed by someone... specially somelike Gackt... his friends & staff truly have their work cut out for them.
I want to be someone who can measure up... artistically. *sigh* Im not even a speck of dust in the horizon compared to Gackt.. -_-;;;
*twitches* ... even if I never make it, even though I want to give up (alot), I will always try... I want to follow Gackt too. ^_^

Once again thank you SO much for this. *pounce huggles*
and sorry my post is like a book. >< .


[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 11th, 2006 05:46 pm (UTC)
(Link)
XD XD Does it? I thought it was short~ I was trying to read my friends list, but then LJ and my comp went wacko. -_- Maybe because I went back like, 200 entries. XD;; So I came back to Sweiled. (Boy, that was random XD)

You are welcome, sweetie! :D

Im not too sure I understand exactly the whole concept of what he was saying but it seems to make sense at the same time. ^_^;
^^;; I feel much the same way at first. I read it a few times and finally understood. I thought kuro_no_diablo gave a great explanation of it. :D

Im not sure what all that was about... I hope Gackt doesnt dislike Americans (like the rest of the world -_-;) though I cant really blame him. ><

I highly doubt it. ^^ Since he seems to go to America often in the past, I think he likes it fine. But in terms of politics, everything is different, right? You can't put the two together. :D

I so want to help him. I dont know how... it makes me sad. T_T

I believe that by supporting him, you are already helping him. :3 The way I see it, he can't really do what he wants to by himself. He needs the voice of others to help pass the message around. If I were to tell my friend about him and make her believe in him too, isn't that one more person added to the list of people who will move towards the same goal? :D


*dies* Its hard to believe, there was a time when he thought like that. Just like when he said he questioned his singing ability (in his autobiography)... it makes me a little less nervous about all my self doubt. XD

Ahaha, it is hard to believe, isn't it? There is a time when Gackt is NOT famous!? XDDD


I wish I could be like that about making films. I wish I had that kind of courage. I feel bad that I try so hard to learn from him but yet I still live in fear. Even though I love it, I hate it too... cuz it makes me ashamed that I cant go beyond the fear like he has.

:/ *mugglies* This road isn't always easy to walk through. I think you already have great courage to pursue what you want to do. Especially in a line like yours, where you can say it's not a very stable job. I sincerely believe that it takes a lot of courage, so give yourself more credit! :D And you don't have to compare yourself with him. Everybody progresses at different paces, find your own. Learn from him, but you don't have to try to be him. Carve your own path out too. :D


It makes me want to cry how noble this statement is...

He's great, isn't he? ^^ He is one of rare speciments of mankind left. XD When people enter society, most turn jaded and forget what's truly important. And even when they saw someone young and new with passion and ardor, they won't encourage the person and would instead make fun and laugh at their naivete. Personally, I pity them for losing their passion. ._. Gackt is one of the only few people I've met who didn't turn out this way.

I used to joke about him being an attention whore, not even meaning it seriously or hatefully. I think even that is wrong.

._. Now that you know what is wrong, at least you can try to not make the same mistake, eh? Isn't that the most important? ^^ *hugs* It hurts a lot too, when I hear others say something like that about him. Especially when I know it isn't a joke. But over time, I learned to brush it off (after giving the person a piece of my mind of course XD) because it just tells me that this person doesn't know much about him, and doesn't care to either. These emotions aren't worth our time. Might as well dedicate it to something positive. :D


@_@ he says it so simply but its difficult to be overshadowed by someone... specially somelike Gackt... his friends & staff truly have their work cut out for them.

Hehe ^^;; It would be great if I can work with him one day, but at the same time the thought is daunting. He expects so much from others, will we ever live up to his expectations? But I think... it's also the process that counts, doesn't it? The process of learning and trying to improve ourselves, not just ability wise, but also for personal growth. :3 I think it will be most interesting, albeit nerve-wrecking. XD

You are welcome again! And, haha, never apologize for comments! I love reading them. ^^ Thank you~
(no subject) - (Anonymous) - Expand
(Deleted comment)
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:winterkill
Date:February 11th, 2006 04:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Thank you so much for translating this. Lately, my Gackt fandom has been slipping, and now I'm so ashamed of myself for it. It's not that I love him less, it's just that I've been paying attention to different things lately.

He still amazes me everytime I read his interviews though. *___*

I was thinking about how some people accuse him of being a "sellout" because he does so many promotions and endorsemnents outside of just making albums. And after reading this, I realized that's not true at all. Like he said, when music is your source of income you become dependent on it, and therefore the music you make has to be the sort that will sell well. For him, it's more like all these other things he does to make money are actually helping him stay true to his music. If he can make his own income come from places other than album sales, he can make the kind of music he wants to, and convey the message he wants to, without having to worry about whether it will make enough money.

That's a really awesome philosophy. :DDDD

I'm also very impressed with his views on being Asian and the economy. He's just so intelligent. I'm like...speechless. XD
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 11th, 2006 05:48 pm (UTC)
(Link)
You are welcome! :D Hehe, yeah, I haven't seen you around. ^^

:D Yeap, that's right. It's brilliant how he turned the other way around. It all seems separate but they are all connected underneath.

XD XD And I do understand that feeling.
[User Picture]
From:gacktprincess
Date:February 11th, 2006 04:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
OMG me and my brother were talking about Gackt last night about his music. My brother said Gackt can't make a living from music forever. I can't believe Gackt knows thatO__O. Mostly some people who do music never pick thisup, and until it's to late. I like how he's trying to join all the asian countries together. He is very cool. Thanks for translating Imee. ^____^.
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 11th, 2006 05:49 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I agree. A lot of people won't bother about consequences or future and things like that. They just enjoy the present. Pity that.

You are welcome!! :D
[User Picture]
From:kuro_no_diablo
Date:February 11th, 2006 04:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Can I just say that your own comments are just as meaningful as Gackt's interview? ;D

This interview can be the subject of a long, long discussion XD But to sum it up:

..it is the way we look back, reflect and introspect.

That is so true. We use the mistakes from our past as a tool for self-improvement, and then we let it go, because if we are too harsh on ourselves, we can never be as successful as we can be. Only when we acknowledged our own imperfections and strengths can we be more successful, because we know ourselves better, develop our strengths further, and take more care in not making a mistake. And this acknowledgement can only come with much introspection, looking inside yourself. I love this, this is a wonderful practice. ;3

In this article you can see more of how Gackt's mind functions. He doesn't stay "stagnant". He works, he reflects, and then he LOOKS FOR NEW WAYS OUT. And that, I think, is what makes him so versatile and charismatic. He used politics as part of his explanation of why he thinks Asia should unite... it's like, DUDE, DO YOU EVER SLEEP? XP

He's an ever-changing angel (<- XD)with a very ambitious goal in his mind. But, like you said, I think we truly believe that he can do it. When has he ever not delivered as promised? ;D

And that whole thing with testing his staff.. how sensitive of him, he doesn't really push them to their max. Rather, he asks them to follow - if they can (<- in an arrogant way? XD j/k). We just wish that he'd apply the same theory to himself, and not push himself to BEYOND the max and fall over at concerts. ;_;

I hope that he's going to your country so you can go to his concerts! ;D

And dearie, if you are going to say "It makes me want to do some real damage to someone.", please end it with a "-____-||" or a "RAWR", for more dramatic effect, yes? XD XD hehe.

.... did I say "to sum it up"? >.>;;

*falls in step behind you to follow Gackt*

THANK YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL TRANSLATION!
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 11th, 2006 06:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Aww, thanks. =^^= I love your comment too. ;D

Ahaha, bring on the discussion~ XD


Only when we acknowledged our own imperfections and strengths can we be more successful, because we know ourselves better, develop our strengths further, and take more care in not making a mistake.

Nice. I love your description! :D Do you mind if I point the other readers down to your comment? I think a few people have difficulty understanding that concept, and I thought you explained it beautifully. Better than mine anyway. XD Yeah, it all goes back to ourselves, it always does. :3 It's not easy to even acknowledge our mistakes, but to learn from it and derive something out of it is even harder, I think. It takes a lot of introspection and self-awareness.


He works, he reflects, and then he LOOKS FOR NEW WAYS OUT.

I can kiss you for saying that. XD XD YES. Exactly!! I love that he always do that~ Ahahahaha, I don't know how he functions which such little sleep. o.o;; And to actually make sense and be successful in what he does. Man, it's only 2 AM right now and I don't make sense already. XD


how sensitive of him, he doesn't really push them to their max. Rather, he asks them to follow - if they can (<- in an arrogant way? XD j/k). We just wish that he'd apply the same theory to himself, and not push himself to BEYOND the max and fall over at concerts. ;_;

:D :D Yeap~ Wow, you really get the whole article. XD At least I didn't fare too badly on the translation then. Fufufufufu. ^^ I said this before in another comment for another article. I think he might be the one most disappointed when his staff fails, because he has such high hopes and expectations of them. It doesn't mean that the staff aren't good, but... seeing a part of your group leave because they can't keep up must be pretty hard.

I hope that he's going to your country so you can go to his concerts! ;D

That's very sweet of you! :D Thanks~!

Ahahahahahahaha, now this way is more me-ish. XD XD I'm a tame lion here~~ XD;;

You are most welcome!! :D And it's nice to have you beside me. ^^
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 11th, 2006 06:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
XD The night is still young~

:O Where are you from? Singapore too? Haha, I know! Indonesia nearly fell into the etc too. XD It's funny how we have opposite reactions. XD *ices your heart for a bit* I agree with your friend. But even if it falls through for security reasons, I'm still really really glad that he thought of Indonesia. .__.

It came across to me as he using his music to get himself known in parts of Asia first, then gradually spread the message across in his songs and interviews for a united Asia.

That's what I have in mind too! And the music itself is the message he wants to deliver across. Through songs, he shows us his thoughts and opinions and wish for a better place. ^^

*sigh and melt into a puddle* That's probably why his band members and crew respects him SO much, they know that they are working for someone who goes out of his way to bring across something that's more than just music, and the least that they could do is to give him their utmost support and loyalty.

And he is also an easy man to follow, don't you think? I mean, not easy per se, but it's easy to make people believe in him. Just look at us, we are a pretty devoted bunch ourselves! :D I always thought that it was because we see and believe in what he does.

XDDDD I can't wait for the day~
(Deleted comment)
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:uranus_sama
Date:February 11th, 2006 05:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
*sigh* This is probably rather shallow of me to say but it's times like these that I curse the fact that I am but an American Y_Y
Its true, though... America is going farther and farther down the tubes... and I hate being seen as some kind of ... ambassador or like... part of what's going on with it... I want to get "I DIDN'T VOTE FOR BUSH!!!!" tattooed on my head in like seventy different languages so that people KNOW.

I can't help it though... I guess I feel kind of left out. I dont think that's what he's getting at but that's how I feel ._.

btw, what keyword question are you on? I'm on *counts* Question 20. It's rocky at best... but if you wanna compare notes... you know where to find me XD
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 11th, 2006 06:13 pm (UTC)
(Link)
:/ *mugglies!* It's hard for me to say, but you are not what your country is. If other people think that way of you, just tell them otherwise. I do the same when people talk about my country. *hugs*

I understand a little how that feels. ._. *double mugglies*

Oh, I... finished all. ^^;; I have a few parts which I don't really understand and I'm waiting for my friends to get back to me. Hmmmmmmm, how should we do this? XD MSN, I guess?

By the way, you should be in bed now, right? It's like, really late over there, non? @@;
[User Picture]
From:asahifirsa
Date:February 11th, 2006 05:30 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think this was a really, really interesting interview. Especially the part about him setting up companies to be independent from what he makes with his music. And I like how he does not jump around about the age issue anymore :)
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 11th, 2006 06:14 pm (UTC)
(Link)
^^ I love how little pieces like these contribute to the whole puzzle.

XD Aah, I was reading something similar in Oricon Style. You'll know what I mean when I get to it. X33
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 13th, 2006 04:02 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Awwwww... *hugglies* I'm glad I have friends like you too. ^^ You make my days more interesting than before~

This is the first time we are going mushy with each other, eh? XD XD

*mugglies* >.> *kidnaps you here*
[User Picture]
From:_ananda_
Date:February 11th, 2006 07:31 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I can't ever thank you enough for your translations. He never fails to inspire me and so many times he'll say something that is just the thing I needed to hear to lift me up and give me courage when I don't feel up to the challenges of my life. I loved reading about how he feels about his music and making sure that he doesn't have to depend on it to earn a living and his plans for Asia. He's just the most inspiring person I know and I'm so grateful to you for translating for us. ♥

Trisha
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 13th, 2006 04:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Trust me, you have always expressed your thankfulness adequately. I should thank you actually, for always replying and commenting. ^^ *bows* XD

I know just what I mean, because it's the same here. He will always have the right words to say when I'm down, and always there with a patient ear. ^^ I hope he can always help you and encourage you. :D *hugglies*
[User Picture]
From:leftapple
Date:February 11th, 2006 07:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The little comment he made about coming to Malaysia made my heart stop for just a beat ^_^;; The thing about him is that, when he says something, he truly means it. So we know that he is definitely coming to us, it's just a matter of time:)

The thing about Gackt is most people tend to generalise him, as they do other artists. What people don't get is that it is so easy to pass judgement onto other people without even bothering to look underneath the surface. So I do understand what you said there about getting riled up whenever someone calls him a media-whore.

I liked what he mentioned about setting up different companies as a means to fund his music. That is one smart man there. He has incredible foresight (^^;;) and is able to see the bigger picture, and plan for the future rather than simply live in the present.

My words seem so jumbled up. Anyway, excuse me for dropping by here ^^;;. And Thank you muchly for your lovely translation.
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 13th, 2006 04:12 pm (UTC)
(Link)
X3 I understand just how that feels. Yeah, that's right. He has never gone back on his word before, so when he says it, you know that he is going to do it.

I think you are right on that one. It's so much more convenient to do that, but at the end, you are the one who loses out on the good parts...

^^ He has got a good business mind too, actually. I too like the way he can plan so far into the future and stick to his goal. Most people would veer away within a year or two, but he has amazingly stayed on course this far.

Haha, don't say that! Thank you for reading and commenting! :D And you are most welcome. :3
[User Picture]
From:fiorente
Date:February 11th, 2006 09:39 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Thank you for the translation! I always wanted to know what what all that kanji, hiragana and katakana says on the magazines I buy. XP And your translations are so fluid. Wow~ ^_^

I'm really glad to hear that Gackt is moving across Asia. I really want to see him live one day. That would mean so much! XD And I'm glad he mentioned your country. I don't live in Asia right now, but I still go back to Taiwan now and then. I'm going back this summer, so hopefully I can get my hands on more Gackt stuff.

Sometimes, I am really amazed about all the information that he knows and picks up, too. He's like the CEO of Gackt (his brand). * lol * CEO's have like a few television sets that they watch all at once on the lastest news all over the world, and everyday they read 20 journals. It's crazy! I wonder if Gackt does that, too. >_< I think, though, he probably picks up a lot of it from talking to all those important people that he talks to. Yeah...

Anyways, thanks a lot! This is really exciting!
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 13th, 2006 04:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Haha, you are most welcome! Glad I could be of help. ;D Aww, thanks. ^^ *blush*

Yeah, he has been talking about it for so long now, to see him finally realize it is unbelievable. :D Ah, thanks! Are you Taiwanese then? Where are you living now? ^^ Hehehe, it's fun to go back to places which sell his goods~

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! XD;;; I can SO totally see that happening!! XD While wearing a super cool suit and... @_@ *fantasizes* XD; But I agree with you, I think he probably picked it up from either newspaper, or the people he talked to. ^^

You are welcome!! I hope he comes to Taiwan while you are there! :D
[User Picture]
From:juincoquine
Date:February 11th, 2006 09:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
ahh, Philosopher!Gackt makes me super happy.

ehhh what was I going to say? God, he's so bold. He knows exactly what he wants to do and he's made his mind up. Him having such a vision for Asia is so... romantic! People of different nations that are so physically close to each other but so mentally and emotionally distant finally coming together to be their own entity and co-existing... ah man.

Reading his words, merely that, makes everything so much more hopeful. I do hope, that in time, more people would come to understand that we are all human... but that we all can continue on through our paths.

^_^ ahh. Love isn't a strong enough word. That's why there's "veneration".
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 13th, 2006 04:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
XD It's never a chore translating his works because you get to learn so much from him. ^^

XD *fans your brain* I love and respect his visions too. It's so daring and unbelievably impossible, but... somehow I have faith that he can do it. ^^ And in your comment, I feel that he has already succeeded. :3 I envy his very much for having the ability to influence people and make a difference in people's life. It would be nice if I can be someone like that too someday.

:O You learn a new word every day~
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 13th, 2006 04:41 pm (UTC)
(Link)
X333 *tacklesmugglies back*

XD It makes a great first translation of the year, doesn't it? Kinda hard to maintain the standard now though. XD

:D :D I think so too. Most of the times, they look at celebs and see them as people who are just out for fame and money. I don't doubt that it's true for most cases, but there are artists who aren't like that too. I hope that the world will open their mind more to this man and accept his goals. ^^
From:gackt_geisha
Date:February 11th, 2006 10:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
.... I miss chatting on MSN! >.
[User Picture]
From:sweiled
Date:February 13th, 2006 04:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
*0*!!!!!!!

*TACKLES*

It's been waay waaaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. ;;=;; Where have you been!!?? What have you been up to?? TELL ME EVERYTHING. XD

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com